Renting Student Accommodation in Brighton
Renting student property in Brighton couldn’t be easier through Q Estate Agents. Once you and your friends have found your perfect student house, you will be asked to put down a holding payment of your agency fees to reserve the property and take it off the market. These agency fees become due and are payable on the day of reserving a property and signing the holding agreement.
This holding deposit is £200 per person and can only be taken at the Q Estate Agents office. Each student must provide valid photographic student ID card, their passport and if necessary their residency visa. All student tenants will need to have someone who can stand as guarantor for them on the joint tenancy agreement. The holding fee is non-refundable in the event that you pull out of the let or fail the referencing process.
You will then need to be referenced by our out of house referencing agency Homelet. All students must meet the following criteria to pass:
- Have a clean credit history.
- Provide Student ID and Passport
- Have positive references from previous landlords
All guarantors must meet the following criteria:
- Guarantors must be a UK resident
- Guarantors must have an income of 3 times the rent paid by the tenant they wish to guarantee. This income must be confirmed by a third party i.e. Employer, Accountant or the last 2 years self assessment tax return forms.
- If a guarantor wishes to be referenced on savings instead of income, they must show bank account statements that prove their savings do not fall below 3 times the full rent payable for the term of the tenancy for the tenant they wish to guarantee.
- Guarantors must have clean credit history.
- All students and their guarantors will have to complete an online reference form emailed to them by Homelet.
- When all tenants and guarantors have passed the referencing all guarantors will have to sign a deed of guarantee, which will bind them to joint and severally liable tenancy agreement for the property.
- All students will have to sign the tenancy agreement at the office on or before the move in date. As all our tenancy agreements are joint assured shorthold tenancy agreements, every tenant must sign the tenancy agreement before anyone can move in.
The Move In
Once all students and guarantors have passed referencing you will need to arrange for your lead tenant to pay the move in payment by bank transfer to our client account:
- One month’s rent on the day you move in (less the holding fee paid when reserving the property)
- A minimum of one months rent as a deposit
- £90 per person for referencing charge
- £110 per person for administration charges (includes overseeing paperwork, liaising with tenants and guarantors, tenancy set up and Tenancy Deposit Scheme registration)
- Your holding fee already paid when reserving the property will cover the administration and referencing charges.
- Your lead tenant will be e mailed out a move in balance sheet showing the balance to pay and the methods of payment available.
- This payment must be made no later than three days before the move in date. All payments must be cleared before anyone can move into the property.
- Once all students have signed and the outstanding balance has cleared in our account, the keys will be given out and a copy of all paperwork will be provided.
- Future rent payments should be paid by standing order (Natwest, Q Client Account, 11524626, 60-10-30). Standing orders can be set up online or at your bank.