Jim in our office has Spanish blood coursing through his veins and as the sun is now out it’s the perfect time for him to share his family’s paella recipe. We’ve included the Quintana’s long guarded family recipe but the great thing about paella is you can use whatever ingredients you have to hand. Best shared with friends and a chilled Albariño.
300g paella rice
900ml chicken stock
½ onion chopped
1 pepper chopped
300g belly pok chopped
4 chicken thighs (on bone)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
8 squid rings
A pinch of saffron
Large shell on prawns
Olive oil for cooking
- Heat oil in pan
- Add the onion and slowly cook until soft
- Add peppers and cook for a few more minutes
- Add the chicken and belly cook for a couple of minutes
- Add the tomatoes and cook until reduced
- Add the squid and a good pinch of saffron and then bring to the boil.
- Add the rice and leave to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the prawns and beans and cover until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Serve with crusty bread and a glass of chilled Spanish white.